What Maisie Knew (2012)

Maisie: "I don't want you to go."
By Scott McGehee and David Siegel
With Onata Aprile, Julianne Moore, Alexander Skarsgård and Joanna Vanderham

I didn't read much about What Maisie Knew before deciding to see it, but the mere fact that it features the brilliant Julianne Moore had me convinced already on seeing it, but the good rating and the fact that Marla was asking if I would see it made me go for it.

Susanna, a declining rock star, and Beale, her British husband have a young girl and a marriage that is falling apart, subjecting Maisie to shouts and scenes continuously. Margo watches over Maisie and is really the one who spends time with her. When Susanna and Beale decides to get divorced they fight viciously for the custody, but Susanna's record as an unstable rock star has Beale ending up with the custody. Freely cursing the other parent in front of their daughter, things get even worse when Susanna learns that Beale is actually living with the ex-nanny Margo. Each of them start to miss their dates and forget to show up when they have to pick Maisie up. This leads to Lincoln, Susanna's new boyfriend and Margo meeting to pick Maisie up.

The movie is quite shocking in many aspects. If I had to give a short sentence about what the movie is I would say that it is: a guide on how to be a bad parent or a good stepparent. In many aspects and through its photography as well as the themes, I would say that this movie reminded me a lot of Any Day Now (2012).

The movie is quite touching as well as infuriating. I don't easily get pissed at characters in movies but the parents here had so little respect for their parental duties that it makes me wonder why they fought so much for custody. It seemed they were trying to cover up their total lack of respect by buying gifts or repeatedly telling Maisie that they loved her in a desperate attempt to look better than the other parent. It failed miserably and this is where I think the real interesting characters come into play, Lincoln and Margo.

They are the real complex characters because they come into play through someone else, yet they get attached and care for the little girl not out of duty but simply because it makes them happy. At first it could be argued that they are covering up for their loved one's shortcomings but it seems obvious that they go through a lot, even when all links with the real parent is broken, in order to care and attend to Maisie. I felt a sense of fear actually, because no matter how much I wanted the stepparent to remain with Maisie, I had my doubts when it comes to any legal rights they had on her. And in a way, I am glad that the film didn't dwell on legal issues, it dealt with what is the most human, care and attention.

The movie relies a lot on Maisie and the young actress is amazing. She really pulls the spectator into liking her and even though her situation is quite dark, she remains content. The movie deals craftingly with human relationships, but I was saddened at how the depiction of the characters was so totally dichotomous. We had the bad ones who kept doing bad things and never surprised us by actually caring and there were the good ones who kept putting the broken pieces together and never letting us down when in need. This was actually a big blow for me in the movie as it really takes away any hopes of redemption from some of the characters.

I think the scene of the puppets playing Red Riding Hood is quite revelatory as it embodies many of the movie's themes. First of all, the wolf tries to lure the girl with gifts, like parents did to Maisie. Secondly, the "good" step parent witnesses the puppet show. Finally, the characters are like puppets, they are programmed to act bad or good, accordingly, and that is what they will do.

I liked: Beautiful shots. Adorable young actress. Good music. Touching.

I disliked: Shortcomings of the characters. I am not sure of how legally possible the story is.

64/100
It is a good film about a custody battle but it might be irritating. If you enjoy such story lines I would recommend Any Day Now (2012).

0 comments :

Post a Comment