+1 (2013)

Angad: "I told you tonight would be full of surprises."
By Dennis Iliadis
With Rhys Wakefield, Logan Miller and Ashley Hinshaw

+1 looked like an interesting experimental film but I wasn't sure I wanted to see it until I saw that it was directed by Dennis Iliadis and I've been a huge fan of his movie Hardcore (2004).

When David goes to meet his girlfriend Jill who is away at college things turn bad as he just happens to kiss her opponent who just beat her at a fencing competition. On the verge of breaking and eager to make things right, David goes with his friend Teddy to the biggest party. Heavy drinking, loud music and loss of various articles of clothing happen as it is to be expected, but what is less expected is the power going out randomly and everytime it does it seems to create bizarre events which will have the partygoers ponder whether they are seeing double.

I have to admit that I enjoyed +1 a lot visually and I felt the concept was quite interesting. However it is one of those cases where I would say it was clearly style over substance. The movie fails to deliver an interesting unfolding which is sad considering the fact that the viewer is really eager to see the clash that should happen when the events finally converge.

Instead, we seem to have a few morals on people learning more about themselves in adversity and trying to change the past. This is quite sad, especially the focus on the cheating boyfriend trying to make up for it during the entire movie. I can't say whether the characters development was lacking or if it was simply the wrap up of the story but something definitely felt amiss when the credits rolled.

I think the movie could have been seen as a metaphor and the paranormal events would have just served the purpose of putting the characters under pressure but this path was not explored. The visuals are good though and the movie is filled with action while the plot keeps you wondering about the possibilities. Although I enjoyed the mind games of the film I felt quite disappointed.

I liked: Interesting and proactive. Fresh look.

I disliked: No likable character. Cheap and disappointing ending which fails to deliver.

51/100
If you enjoy party movies this is quite good, but sadly if you're in for the thriller part you might be disappointed.

2 comments :

  1. Steel Spades with Stainless Steel Spades with Stainless Steel
    Stainless Steel Spades with Stainless Steel Spades with Stainless micro touch hair trimmer Steel Spades 1xbet app with Stainless Steel Spades with Stainless Steel Spades with Stainless Steel Spades with titanium fat bike Stainless titanium fitness Steel titanium tubing Spades with Stainless

    ReplyDelete