Society (1989)

Bill Whitney: "I don't think about them, they don't think about me. We're just one big happy family... except for incest and a little psychosis."
By Brian Yuzna
With Billy Warlock, Devin DeVasquez and Evan Richards

When I came across Society and saw the cover I was quite intrigued as it is really a disturbing cover. I wasn't sure what to think as the synopsis didn't seem to involve much horror but then I clicked on the director and realized he made Bride of Re-Animator which is cult classic just for its quotes, so I decided to see it.

Bill Whitney is a popular kid living with his parents and his sister in a rich house in Beverly Hills. Bill doesn't really feel at home though and has paranoid ideas and consults a therapist for it. Bill thinks there is something really wrong with his family and that they might not be what they seem which also makes him think he was possibly adopted. His doubts amplify when a friend who has information on his family gets killed in an accident. Despite everything Bill witnesses, they always seem to evaporate before he can produce them to anybody, therefore it's unclear whether it's all in his head or if there is a consensus that cover their step.

Society is quite unique in its genre. It seems to start as a typical 80's movie about a teenager trying to fit in and facing issues about his parents expectations but the events take this turn where we almost feel like watching a thriller where the hero has to uncover the truth about some powerful organisation.

During the first part of the movie, we really don't know whether it's a parody, a comedy, or just over-the-top. I think the movie is a classic example of a film you have to take at the 3rd degree, if you watch Society and take it seriously you will probably get bored. If you decide to see it as a comical take on social issues and behaviors then it is actually hilarious.

The dress code and haircuts of the 80's (and the famous mullet) are priceless and add a lot to the entertainment. The true undertone of the movie shines through sparsely in the first part with some characters that can't be taken seriously and a few very out of place quotes that made me laugh.

The movie however will mostly be remembered for its ending and what I could only describe by a delightfully disgusting orgiastic flesh feast. That scene is absolutely disgusting, possibly brilliant in its own right, but probably shocking to any normal audience. Again, I had to remind myself of the context, the overall metaphor, the symbolism and more importantly, the overall tone of the movie to see it as something actually enjoyable. It is, when taken at the 3rd degree, a pretty funny scene. One must not forget to note the sound effects, they are brilliant.

Sadly, even when considering the movie as a comedy, there are some flaws that makes it less enjoyable. We have this vague feeling of a Rosemary's Baby (1968) rip-off while never really getting what the evil people want, which makes the thriller part of the movie fail. Also, we have no clear distinction to identify someone and it impends on our ability to follow the pressure rising around our hero. The hero undergoes some changes but they are mostly left unexplained: what happened at the hospital? Are Clarissa and Milo good? Is anyone being framed? These are questions that I couldn't wrap up and even though I loved the over-the-top social critic it seemed incomplete.

I liked: The most graphic of body horror. The 80's teenagers feel. The paranoia and doubts.

I disliked : Unclear. Has three very different tones. Does the metaphor still work if everything is taken into account?

64/100
Definitely not for everyone but it holds its funny moments. I can't think of anyone I'd recommend it to but if I heard someone saw it I would probably laugh about it with them. 

0 comments :

Post a Comment