Autoerotic (2011)


Girl: "Heat, like the coffee cup turns me on."
By Joe Swanberg and Adam Wingard
With Amy Seimetz, Joe Swanberg and Adam Wingard

After I watched Upstream Color, I decided to check out the filmography of the main actors. From there I discovered Amy Seimetz, who starred in a movie titled Autoerotic.

Autoerotic is made up of four short stories which all have sex and the exploration and issues that go with it in common. We move through these themes which are loosely interconnected with beautiful shots of Chicago's skyline and traffic.

But to put it bluntly, I didn't like Autoerotic. First of all, I couldn't decide if it was supposed to be a drama or a comedy because the stories were so stereotypical and ridiculous. The themes are absolutely clichéd: the guy who wants a bigger penis, the girl who has issues because her sexual drive is too high, the pregnant woman who can't be fulfilled by her husband and the creepy guy who can't let go of his ex-girlfriend. Even the numerous sex scenes couldn't redeem the movie. It grieves me to admit the best scenes of the movie were the panoramic shots of Chicago shown between each segment.

I liked: Props to the pregnant woman.

I disliked: The supposed intersections of the stories is contrived and borders on the ridiculous. No psychological exploration of the implications of sex whatsoever. Overtly stereotypical and totally unoriginal storylines. All the guys are pretty much pervs. As for the title, Autoerotic, it made not a single appearance in any form in all three stories.

18/100
I was quite disappointed. I thought it would explore aspect and issues of autoeroticism but it didn't. It was mostly a collection of clichés.

0 comments :

Post a Comment