Fast and Furious 6 (2013)

Dom: "Never could resist American muscle."
By Justin Lin
With Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and Dwayne Johnson

I'm not exactly a huge fan of the series even though I watched them all. Most of them are entertaining at best but I guess I must find them amusing since I always decide to see the new one coming. The fact that Jordana Brewster is in it also helps, I've been a converted fan of hers since The Faculty (1998) but it's mostly her role in the hilarious D.E.B.S. (2004) that I keep in mind.

The whole crew is in exile as they are all sought after criminals in the U.S. When tough cop Hobbs pays a visit to Dom to ask for the help of his team while bringing proof that Letty, Dom's girlfriend he assumed was dead, is alive and kickin' with another gang of drivers/criminals, Dom calls everyone and they all meet in London. Shaw is the leader of this opposing gang of criminals and we learn that he's after three devices that will help him sell a bomb, and that Letty is apparently working with him.

The movie is action packed and pays good tribute to the previous installments. I enjoyed the images of the previous ones in the intro, it is something that most sequels directors omit but it really helps put the audience in the story quickly. The Fast and Furious films have always been a staple for fast cars chase, bikini girls and loud music. This doesn't change much here, although I have to say that the car chases lost all sense of realism in order to impress. We are now served tanks, airplanes, demolition of bridges and a full on military arsenal. I had to pause for a minute after some scenes because I just couldn't believe they made this! If the laws of physics could talk, they would be speechless.

They also managed to find someone who is squarer than Dwayne Johnson to pair the two in a fight.

I was not exactly disappointed with the movie, but I think I liked the previous ones more, or maybe I was less critical. I did enjoy most of it though, it is definitely action packed and better than some of the last sequels I've watched (think Die Hard) but they brought everything to such proportions than one would wonder how they'll top it in a sequel, as this already way over the top.

I liked: Seeing the same characters. Brewster, Rodriguez and Kang are all adorable. Beautiful shots of London or Spain.

I disliked: Loss of all realism. Uninteresting story. Predictable.

53/100
It has all the elements of a Fast and Furious, but it could be more accurately renamed Fast and Furious and Armed and Travelling and can also Fly. Well, you get the gist--action fans should be pleased with this one.

1 comments :

  1. " If the laws of physics could talk, they would be speechless." nice line.... well no surprise there, action movies with six sequels are always begging to be put to bed...

    ReplyDelete