Offside (2006)

Girl: "Stop staring or they'll spot me. It's hard enough as it is. You'll mess up my plan."
By Jafar Panahi
With Sima Mobarak-Shahi, Shayesteh Irani and Ayda Sadeqi

I recently heard about In film nist (2011), a documentary I haven't watched yet, but that is centered around Iranian director Jafar Panahi whose films are banned in Iran and who has spent time in jail for his work. While going through his filmography, of which I had only previously seen Dayereh (2000), I came across Offside and I decided I had to see it.

Offside starts with a crowd of men going to the stadium to see the football (soccer) match between Iran and Bahrain. Iran must not lose if they want to secure their spot and go to the World Cup. Amongst the crowd, a young girl is trying to remain incognito. Women are not allowed to enter the stadium and the female fans must prove their ingenuity in order to disguise themselves. The young girl we follow is quickly spotted and arrested by soldiers who provide the security. She is then led to a little spot behind the stadium where they improvised an open air jail cell. There she meets other girls who have been caught. Through the course of the match and the discussions with the soldiers we will learn to know and understand their struggles.

I felt a sense of familiarity as soon as the film started: the handheld camera, the crowds, the everyday life, the journey of women were all very reminiscent of Dayereh. Offside is however a really persuasive comedy. I wasn't expecting such a take in the movie, but I liked it. The ensemble cast of the girls, whom we never know the names of, are diverse and sympathetic.

The portrayal of the soldiers is varied, representing many regions of Iran and different interests, and the interactions with their prisoners develop into something believable. The crowd atmosphere is palpable as the film was in fact filmed at a real qualifying match. Enjoying soccer is actually not at all required, something I grew afraid of when the film started as I don't really like it myself, but it is more than enough to witness the effect of the sport on the people involved. The title also plays an interesting part as the girls parked right outside the stadium are literally cast offside.

I liked: Rebellious and funny. Portrayal of different women. The awkward situations that rise up naturally.

I disliked: It feels messy at times, mostly because of the handheld camera in a real live crowd. Less psychologically complex compared to Dayereh, but funnier.

77/100
I think I'm increasingly interested in films like this, that break away from convention despite depicting everyday situations. 

0 comments :

Post a Comment