Hatchet III (2013)

Marybeth: "I killed him. I killed him."
By BJ McDonnell
with Danielle Harris and Kane Hodder

It was when I saw that this movie was out that I realized there was a Hatchet II and watched it, before proceeding to watch Hatchet III. I was wary of it and had low expectations since I have seen so many horror franchises lose integrity once they change directors.

Hatchet III starts where the second one left off. Marybeth kills Victor Crowley, before proceeding to kill Victor Crowley again, before killing Victor Crowley again. Well, he seems dead enough, but the curse isn't lifted just yet. Marybeth walks in the police station, covered in blood with her shotgun and a bit of Crowley's skull, saying she killed him. As the prime suspect, since Crowley is just an urban legend, she is locked up in jail while police, paramedics and a SWAT team go to the scene. In the meantime, journalist Amanda, a Crowley expert, talks to Marybeth about the only way to lift the curse. Marybeth being the only bloodline of those who perpetrated the crime against Victor Crowley, she has to give Crowley's father's ashes back to him and then the curse will be lifted... Night comes before that and the story repeats.

I was pleasantly surprised with Hatchet III as soon as the credits started rolling, it seemed that Adam Green- director and writer of both Hatchet I & II was here as an executive producer. That is always something reassuring to know the author and man behind the idea of a film is still around for a sequel. The story is not really original, but I found the movie quite funny with its over-the-top characters. Many of the secondary characters and/or actors from the series return, not the most famous ones, but a cameo is always pleasant. What is really enjoyable are the graphics and special effects and the old school feel. It doesn't use any computer generated graphics, instead relying on what made the 80's horror so enjoyable for me: the crafty puppets and blood pumps.

Victor Crowley looks even meaner than before and he joyfully finds some of his weapons back. I found this one to have fewer downtimes than the second one but I think it could have been a little shorter. All in all, it isn't the best film I've seen but for a sequel I found it pretty good.

I liked: Gruesome killings faithful to the serie. SWAT and heavy weaponry sticking together without spreading out. Funnier than number 2.

I disliked: A lot of the new characters seem hastily created. Poor dialogues.

58/100
I sometimes complain about new horror being all about the CGI graphics--now I know where to look for old school body dismemberment.

0 comments :

Post a Comment