Stoker (2013)

Evelyn Stoker: "Personally speaking, I can't wait to watch life tear you apart."
By Chan-wook Park
With Mia Wasikowska, Nicole Kidman and Matthew Goode

Despite all the famous names in the credits, I didn't feel like watching Stoker at first. The decisive turn for me was when I realized the music was actually made by Clint Mansell who is by far my favorite soundtrack composer. It is once I actually decided to see the movie that I got more intrigued by the names in the credits, namely famous Korean director Chan-wook Park, mostly known for Oldboy (2003) who is in fact part of what is usually referred to as The Vengeance Trilogy, along with Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (2002) and Lady Vengeance (2005), the latter being the closest to what watching Stoker felt like. Another interesting fact I came across while watching the credits unfold was that the script was written by Wentworth Miller of Prison Break (2005-2009) fame.

Stoker starts with very peculiar teenager named India, running around in the majestic property her family owns. Her father's funeral takes place right after that and along with it, Charlie comes to live with India and her mother Evelyn. Charlie is India's uncle but they never met, an aura of mystery surrounds Charlie has it seems no one really know much about him. Despite the mystery, both mother and daughter seem to fall for the charming young man.

I was pleasantly surprised with Stoker. What strikes the viewer at first is the eerie look of the property and the almost Victorian clothes they wore. I was even shocked to realize India was going to a high school where other students were dressed in contemporary clothes.

There is a lot of symbolism in the shots, which I have found common in Korean cinema. It was both visually, and thematically close to Lady Vengeance (2005), with strong, yet utterly dark and mysterious leading ladies. Despite it not being a horror movie, Chan-wook Park still proves that he is a master at making hallways look menacing and any basement with little lightning becomes threatening.

The music was really good. I might be biased because of my liking for Clint Mansell, but both that and the pieces that are played on the piano by the characters were amazing. The acting was also very good and I was quite impressed with Mia Wasikowska who seems to be blooming in talent lately. Nicole Kidman can be considered a little type cast as she appears once again as a troubled, emotionally stunted mother, but maybe it's because she plays that role so well. Matthew Goode is almost too charming to not be suspicious, which plays a great role as the movie evolves.

I don't think the mystery was the greatest element. It was decent, but some of the red herrings weren't justified in my opinion. The great atmosphere of the movie doesn't quite match up with the story, however, it does leave the viewer with a positive aftertaste.

I liked: The soundtrack. Great visuals and feel to the movie. Mysterious characters.

I disliked: I wanted more out of it. I wish I could have known more about the uncle.

75/100
It's a pretty good surprise, certainly very dark, but tightly pieced together. The Vengeance Trilogy remains better in my opinion but as Park's first English movie, it has great potential.

0 comments :

Post a Comment