Wadjda (2012)

Wadjda: "You'll see when I have a bike"
By Haifaa Al-Mansour
With Waad Mohammed, Reem Abdullah and Abdullrahman Al Gohani

I was eager to see Wadjda, often publicized as the first Saudi Arabian film, which is not exactly the case but it is the first that got such recognition and is the first by a female director. I thought it would be an interesting experience to witness. The fact that it was a female director made me even more curious as women rights in Saudi Arabia are known to be a controversial issue and is mostly what the outside world is exposed to about Saudi Arabia.

Wadjda is a young girl who doesn't like school that much and is often reprimanded by the teachers for her rebellious behavior. Things aren't much better at home as her mom struggles with driver issues and her father is seeking a second wife. Wadjda doesn't seem to have many friends at school, but she has a friend who lives in the neighborhood, young boy named Abdullah. He has a bicycle which becomes Wadjda's obsession and decides to get one for herself, despite this not being tolerated in the Kingdom. Nevertheless, Wadjda  starts saving up her money to buy one. The nearest shop owner has one and after some discussion she manages to have him keep it for her until she gathers the money. In the meantime, she allows Abdullah to put up lamps from their house, for his uncle's political party's gathering.  In exchange, he lets her ride his bicycle. When her school launches a Quran reciting contest, Wadjda works hard to win the prize money which would allow her to finally buy the bicycle.

I really enjoyed Wadjda. It was fresh, with a colorful dose of rebellion and the sweetness of a child's dream. In many aspects, it reminded me of the Iranian film Children of Heaven (1997). It seems to portray a good look at life in Saudi Arabia. The acting was really good and it made me enjoy the film more because I ended up rooting for Wadjda. Some moments will feel tender, some will be really cringe-worthy and some will feel real. It is probably the strength of the movie that the viewer will go through such a range of emotions. It also shows things that will feel strange to foreign eyes without ever seeming judgmental or preachy.

The film is not flawless by any means, and I found it to have some down times and some scenes that did not quite fit in as fluidly in the movie as others. But it didn't prevent me from enjoying it as a whole. I found it clever, thoughtful and most of all, it made me think and feel. On top of that, it always feels good to see what could be a pioneering movie.

I liked: Playful, clever. A story line that pulls you in. Good children actors.

I disliked: Some scenes do not fit in as well, I felt they were put to highlight the local colors.

79/100
I'd recommend it to anyone into foreign film. Hopefully, Wadjda is only the first of many.

0 comments :

Post a Comment